Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Frédéric Chopin

Life has been rather chaotic in our home since the week before Christmas. A family emergency called and we of course responded. It means I haven't had much time to practice. And it starts to show.

I have been working on a Chopin Prelude. It was coming along beautifully. And then I couldn't play much for a few weeks and, eek!, all that work began to fall apart. Irritation! Frustration! Agitation! In a moment of pique, right there at the piano, I HARMONICALLY TUNED for the piece to settle in my brain and fingers and SOUND like something please!

Whoa! Eureka! Abracadabra! It worked. The piece now sounds better than ever. All fell into place. The melody line sings out and the surrounding harmonies are lovely. I never tried tuning right there at the piano before. Usually I tune in my office in the morning for my clients and include tuning for me and the music if I'm so inclined. I was surprised how quickly it took effect. Like immediately.

No comments: