Sunday, January 3, 2010


I started to play the piano when I was five years old. Our home had an old player piano in the basement. My father heard me playing tunes by ear and found a piano teacher for me. I continued to study through college. Although I played well, life called me in other directions. I married, had children and managed a very busy work and family life. Then we became empty nesters. Music called me. I had not played in many, many years and wondered, quite frankly, if I still had the chops to play much of anything.

And yet I had the sense that much had changed with my neurology and maybe, just maybe I might actually play better than I did as a young woman. While I was utilizing HARMONIC TUNING for my piano (see previous blog entrance) I practiced a little HARMONIC TUNING on myself. I tuned for the energy of the composers to be present in my music studio (doesn't that sound classy - it's actually our Living Room) and I TUNED for my body/mind to be able to tap into that energy, interpret the music and play it well.

It worked. The entire energy of the room changes. My body/mind responds to the changed energy and I not only learn music more easily than I did years ago, but the music making is more elegant and refined. It just comes. I practice, I have to practice, but it's joyful. It's fun. It's refreshing and nourishing to my very being. My piano senses this and meets me in that place where musician and instrument become one. Union. And in that union the heart opens and beauty is expressed as sound.

No comments: